History Lesson for History Buffs
HISTORY OF OCEAN VIEW PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
As provided by Beth McSpadde
Pastor: Dr. Dwight Webster
In December 1920, 25 people gathered in a small room on “A” View Ave in Ocean View for the purpose of worshipping God. This mission, established by the 1st Presbyterian Church of Norfolk, was our beginning.
By Spring 1921, under the leadership of Rev Irby D. Terrell, plans were made for a more permanent location. In September1922, the congregation moved into their first new church building. By 1925, another dwelling had been purchased to handle the rowing Sunday School. There were 5 Elders and 5 Deacons. Mr. B. A. Hubbard, Sr. was one of the 5 Elders. Rev Terrell’s term at OVPC 1921-25; Rev. L. M. Henderlite 1926-31; Rev C. W. Browning 1932-41.
In 1942, the congregation decided to sell the First View property and purchase our present site. Because of building restrictions due to the War, a permit to build was not obtained until 1947. Due to lack of funds, only the external structure and necessary inside partitions were completed, and some were closed off with burlap sacks.
The congregation met in the Ocean View School, until our Church was finished and the cornerstone was laid in 1948.
A call was extended to Reverend W. A. Wilderson in Dec 1950 and though his inspired leadership, administrative ability and devotion to God, he led us through a most prosperous era. Almost immediately after his installation, the congregation accepted the challenge and supported a highly successful building fund campaign.
Under god, our church continued to grow numerically, spiritually and financially. In 1953, I accepted the job as church secretary and worked until 1974. In 1954 our church school facilities were completed. With our building paid for, our first “mortgage burning” was conducted in 1957. In the next year we had outgrown the building; it was apparent that we needed a larger Sunday School and renovation of our old buildings to the glory of God.
Our next Pastors were Rev Philip N. Libby, Jr., 1964-69; Dr. Robert N. Lominack, Jr., 1970-79, followed by Dr. James E.Carriker. He was installed in 1980 and servered until 1992.
December 22, 1991, our sanctuary was burned. August 16, 1992 our sanctuary was restored. We rejoice today in the celebration of our Sanctuary. The best wishes and prayers of our congregation are extended to our pastor, May the members of OVP Church sincerely pledge ourselves, so that under God's guidance we will labor more diligently, that this church may continue to let the light of the gospel message, the spirit of Christian fellowship and love, shine out more brilliantly in this community.
Pastor Rev. Dr. Dwight Webster is now leading the OVP Church into the next generation. We are reaching out for both fellowhip and to help the people of our community. Call, email or visit Dr. Webster to discuss the mission of our Church in our Community. Find out how you can contribute to your community and enjoy the Christian Fellowhip in your own backyard. Everyone is invited!